Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A dog among men: A commentary about life in Peru

I come from a small, rural town in northern Utah. Very different from Lima Peru. I went from quiet to crazy. I am finding myself changing in ways I never pictured myself changing. And it is mostly good. I am growing as a person living here in a new culture.

But sometimes it is the dogs that amaze me here. Dogs live in the streets, and act as if there were no people around. Back home if I saw a big dog walking towards me, I would think about running. I would not know what that dog was going to do. Here, in Lima, it is much different. When I see a big dog walking towards me I think, "Wow, that is a big dog." I keep on walking, not even thinking of running. The dog walks right past me and does not even look at me.

Today I was out walking when I was passed by a dirty little dog. I thought of my nephew. He would scream if he saw a small dog running around. I think he would die here. Some of these dogs are huge.

I wonder what the dogs would do here if someone started running from one of them. My wife says they would just ignore you.

Before I came here, I sometimes wondered how it would be if man still walked around with animals, both living and doing their own things. Here it is that, with dogs and man. I dont know if the dogs used to have owners, or if they are mostly wild dogs. But, they usually leave alone, and we leave them alone.

There you have it. Dogs and humans, living together as one. Now we just need to get cats into it too. Well, there are some places that have lots of wild cats. Not the big ones, but the house kind, but that is for another blog.

Brandon J. Greer

No comments:

Post a Comment